Gum disease is a serious problem in the United States. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that about half of all Americans have some form of periodontal disease. When left untreated, periodontal disease can lead to tooth and bone loss in the mouth. It has also been associated with chronic systemic diseases, like diabetes, heart disease and stroke. Dentists recommend flossing daily to not only give you a healthy smile, but to prevent gum disease, tooth loss and cavities.
Lately, there has been a renewed interest in water flossing. This type of treatment came on the market for personal use in 1962, known as the Waterpik®. Oral flossing at home removes debris, but it doesn’t remove plaque build-up, which made clinicians wonder if it was effective. Current research indicates that oral flossing does reduce harmful bacteria and helps keep mouths cleaner. These types of devices should be used daily for maximum benefits.
Here are a few of the benefits of oral water flossing:
- Improves bad breath by reducing bacteria
- It can control gingivitis
- It dilutes toxins in the mouth
- It can be easier to use water flossing with dental apparatuses, such as braces
- People who have a hard time using a string flosser can often keep their mouth in better health with a water flosser because it can clean between tightly-spaced teeth and it is easier to manage if you have arthritis or another issue with your hands
- Water flossing has the potential to reach the shallow periodontal pockets that are caused by gum disease
Take care of your overall health by taking care of your mouth and gums. Make an appointment with Art of Dentistry and let Dr. Addleson, Dr. Campbell and Dr. Landau put together a comprehensive treatment plan for your teeth and mouth. You’ll feel better and be more confident when you have good oral hygiene in San Diego, CA.